The Ghana Flag
The national flag of Ghana was designed and adopted in 1957 and was flown until 1962, and then reinstated in 1966. It consists of the Pan-African colours of red, gold, and green, in horizontal stripes, with a black five-pointed star in the centre of the gold stripe. The Ghanaian flag was the second African flag after the flag of the Ethiopian Empire to feature these colours. The flag’s design influenced that of the flag of Guinea-Bissau.
The red represents the blood of those who died in the country’s struggle for independence from Great Britain, the gold represents the mineral wealth of the country, the green symbolizes the country’s rich forests and natural wealth, and the black star is the symbol of African freedom. The black star was adopted from the flag of the Black Star Line, a shipping line incorporated by Marcus Garvey that operated from 1919 to 1922. It is where the Ghana national football team derive their nickname, the “Black Stars” The flag of Ghana was designed by Mrs. Theodosia Okoh
The Coat of Arms
The first quarter, on the upper left shows a sword used by chiefs, and a staff, used by the linguist (known as an okyeame in Akan), at ceremonies. It is a symbol for the traditional authority of Ghana.
The second quarter shows a representation of Osu Castle on the sea, the presidential palace on the Gulf of Guinea, symbolizes the national government.
The third quarter of the shield shows a cacao tree, which embodies the agricultural wealth of Ghana.
The fourth quarter shows a gold mine, which stands for the richness of industrial minerals and natural resources in Ghana.
A gold lion centred on a green St George’s Cross with gold fimbriation on the field of blue, represents the continuing link between Ghana and the Commonwealth of Nations.
The crest is a Black star of Africa with gold outline, upon a torse in the national colours.
Supporting the shield are two golden Tawny eagles, with the Order of the Star of Ghana suspended from their necks.
The compartment upon which the supporters stand is composed of a grassy field, under which a scroll bears the national motto of Ghana: Freedom and Justice. The Coat of Arms was designed by Ghanaian artist Amon Kotei and was introduced on 4 March 1957